tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 16:42:07 2000

RE: Raise your betleH to the stars.....

> > DungDaq betleH pep - the betleH is raised in the area above the subject.
>
> You've made an interesting assumption. By my perspective, you have not
> revealed which potential {Dung} you are talking about. The subject? The
> speaker? The listener? It isn't clear. There isn't really a global {Dung},
> since no matter how high you go, something else can be higher.
>
> > retlhDaq betleH pep - the betleH is raised in the area next to
> > the subject.
>
> Again, you make an assumption with little to justify it.
>
> > tlhopDaq betleH pep - the betleH is raised in the area in front
> > of the subject.
>
> Why the subject?
>
> > As you say, the action is in the area of the locative; above the person,
> > next to the person, in front of the person.
>
> If you were more explicit about the locative, I'd agree.

> > DungDaq taj yI'uch - hold the knife above.
>
> Above what? I would tend to assume you mean "Above you and me"
> assuming that
> we are on similar levels.
>
> > tlhopDaq taj yI'uch - hold the knife in front.
>
> In front of you, or in front of me? Are we facing the same direction?

FINE! so put a *%&*^ pronoun in front of the Dung/tlhop/etc;
The person has an area in front of him; he can hold his blade there.
The person has an area above him; he can hold his blade there.
The person has an area that is in the direction of something else; he can
hold his blade there.

> I honestly think you'd be better served with a
> verb that implies a target. {Sor lurghvaD tajlIj yIQeq.}

well damn, you just used the word [lurgh].
So you do agree that the word CAN be used.

>> HovDaq betleH pep - the betleH is not in or on the star.
>
>I disagree. "On the star, he raises the betleH." This is definitely a valid
>interpretation of this sentence, and if we go by canon, this would be the
>most easily justified interpretation. You have to make a leap not justified
>by canon to assume that the locative indicates the target of the raising
and
>not the location of the raising. I'm not sure that this leap is wrong, but
>am sure that any certainty that this leap is correct is unjustified. It's
>certainly unnecessary.

??? You apparently misunderstood what I was saying.
I did not say that the locative indicates the target.
YOU try being on a star and raise your betleH.  You wouldn't survive.
In the sentence [HovDaq betleH pep] the action takes place on the star.  But
it couldn't because the person would be dead.  ***In the English*** the
betleH is not in or on the star, nor is the person, thus that sentence would
not work.  Thus lurgh.

(last message in this thread)

DloraH

Back to archive top level