tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 10:59:44 2000

RE: Deixis and direction

jatlh ghot Sar:

> Yuck. Would you also say {jaghDaq jISuv.}? Or how about
> {HIqDaq jItlhutlh.} You have added {-Daq} for no reason.
> {Hew vIlegh} is what you wanted. The statue is the
> simple direct object of "see". {legh} doesn't mean
> "look". It means "see". There's a difference. Yes, you
> might "look at" a statue, but you don't "see at" a
> statue. You just see it.
>
>> if someone grabbed your arm, pointed and whispered excitedly
>> {HewDaq yIlegh! vIHtaH!} what else do you think she meant but
>> "towards the statue"?
>
> I'd think she was some alien doing a piss poor job of
> speaking Klingon. That obviously should be {Hew yIlegh!
> vIHtaH!}

And I would think that *something on the statue* was moving. I'd look for a
bird or something, and when I didn't see it, I'd ask <vIH nuq?>. That's not
being deliberately obtuse and snotty; that's just what I would expect it to
mean.

pagh

Back to archive top level