tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 13:42:57 2000

Re: Thinking the sentence structure

jIjatlh:
> > (There's a
> > good question: can /'ar/ be part of any noun phrase, or only a noun
phrase
> > in the subject or object position?  Personally, I don't see any reason
why
> > it can't be in any noun phrase.)

jatlh charghwI':
> DaHjaj tachDaq 'ar bItlhutlhpu'?
>
> I agree. No reason to limit {'ar}.

Dun mu'tlhegh Damuchbogh.  majQa'.

jIjatlh:
> > Say!  What canon do we have with question words and "noun
> > phrases" (as I am
> > calling the category of "oblique" nouns)?  I'll find some when I've got
my
> > resources handy and see what orders they come in.

jatlh charghwI':
> Lost me on this one.

That's okay: I've looked through a great deal of canon so far and haven't
found any relevant instances of question words next to adverbials or noun
phrases.  If there are, they may give us insight as to whether question
words substitute for words in other "categories," or if they have a unique
category in the sentence of their own.  I'll keep looking, though.

SuStel
Stardate 465.1

Back to archive top level