tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 04:57:59 2000

Klingon WOTD: 'aD (v)

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, June 18, 2000.

Klingon word:   'aD
Part of Speech: verb
Definition:     have a length of, measure

Additional Notes:
KGT.

MSN 10/22: There are two words used for length: <'aD>  and <'ab>.  Both of these can be translated "have a length of," but they are used somewhat differently.  <'aD> is used in contrast with <juch> "have a width of" in measuring, say, a tabletop.  <'ab>, on the other hand, is used for (potentially) longish, skinnyish things (for example, spears) and also for heights.   Thus, one might say:

 jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'  "the warrior has a length of six ujs" (about 6'10")

[<jav> "six"; <'ujmey>, plural of <'uj>, a unit of measure; 'ab "has a length of"; SuvwI' "warrior"]

This might sound a little more natural as "the warrior stands six ujs" or "the warrior is six ujs tall."

One could also say:

 vagh 'ujmey vI'ab  "I have a length of five ujs" (about 5'8")
     or "I'm five ujs tall"

[<vagh> "five"; vI'ab "I have a length of"]

And it is, of course, acceptable to leave out the plural suffix <-mey> when a number precedes the measure word, in this case <'uj>":

 wej 'uj 'ab naQjej  "the spear has a length of three uj" (about 3'5")
    or "the spear measures three uj"
    or "the spear is three uj long"

[<wej> "three"; naQjej "spear"]

The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej ([email protected]).  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.

--Holtej 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ