tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 05 19:56:06 2000

RE: [KLBC] A poem

De'vID:
> What do you mean by "I will ask you in a dream"?  Do you
>  mean "I will ask you while *I* am dreaming", or
>  "I will ask you while *you* are dreaming"?  They mean
>  slightly different things.

jatlh Doq tera' loD:

> What I am trying to say is like, I will see you in my
> dream, and I will talk to your projected image. Like that,
> but shorter you know.

> I came up with /vaj jInajtaHvIS SoHyu' (Or yu'SoH)
> jIDichDaq/

> DichDaq is "will"

As De'vID has pointed out, <DIchDaq> does not work for "will". "Will" in
English can mean three things, all muddled up together. The primary meaning
is that the event happens in the future. Klingon simply ignores this bit -
events happen when they happen. See my last post for more on tense in
Klingon.

"Will" can also mean that whoever said something is certain it will happen,
especially if the "will" is emphasized. For this, Klingon has another
wonderful tool: the suffix <-bej>. When the suffix <-bej> is added to a
verb, the speaker is saying that he's certain that the sentence is true (or
will be if the action is in the future). So if you want to say "I don't know
what will happen this afternoon, but I *will* eat lunch", you would say
<..., 'ach megh vISopbej>. If you decide this is what you want in your poem,
use <qaghelbej>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level