tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 10 15:30:30 2000

Re: divorce

jatlh Voragh:
>Actually, it does; at least in on-screen Klingon lore. In DS9 "House of
Quark"
>when Grilka divorced Quark (at his request) - whom she had recently married
in
>the *Brek'tal* {bIreqtal} ritual after Quark killed her husband in a bar
fight
>- IIRC she slapped him, spit in his face, then shouted *N'Gos tlhogh cha!*
>"This marriage is dissolved!"

jang ghunchu'wI':
>I don't have access to the scripts, and I usually can't make any sense out
>of supposed Klingon words spoken on Star Trek TV episodes.  Where did you
>find the spelling "N'Gos"?  If I didn't already know we were considering
>the word {ngoS}, I doubt I'd have recognized it.

Voragh Hal vISovbe', 'ach qar "spelling"Daj. "spelling"Daj rap "script"
"spelling". "ST DS9 Companion" vIlo' vItu'meH. 'ay'Hom 32Daq
mu'tlheghqoqvam tu'lu'. mugh "script"; jatlh "Our marriage is done!"
('ach "The torpedoes of marriage are dissolving" rapba' 'e' wISov.)

I don't know Voragh's source, but his spelling matches that of the
script (which I accessed using the ST DS9 Companion), Scene 32. The
script's translation of the sentence is, "Our marriage is done!" (Of
course, we all know that it really means, "The torpedoes of marriage are
dissolving!")

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level