tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 10 11:49:45 2000

RE: yIH? vIghro'?

SuStel:
> Soj vutlu'DI' Soj tujnISbe'moHlu'.  yIntaHbogh qagh vutlu'DI', yIntaH
qagh.
> vaj, yIH vutlu'chugh ('up!), chaq yIntaH yIH.
>
> /vut/ means "prepare food," not "cook."

pIl'o':
> ngoDvetlh  vISovpu'.
> (speaking of <vetlh>, DatIv'a'?)

ghobe'. 'up. 'ach 'ey latlh ghew mut.

> qettlhup  lo'chugh vISov 'e' vIneH neH.

<neH> doesn't ever use <'e'>. <qettlhup lo'chugh vISov> is also a bit weird,
but I think it works. You just have to assume that the "it" in <vISov>
refers to an implied <ngoDvetlh>.

> question: how would you say, "You all talk about food."?
> *SojmeH  boja'chuq* cannot be correct
> Sojmo'?

This is a bit of a difficult one. <ja'chuq> cannot take an object, so the
verb prefix has to be <Su->. You could say: <Suja'chuq. Soj boqel> - "You
discuss. You consider food.".

**WARNING - SPECULATION ALERT**

It might also be possible to use the topic suffix <-'e'> to indicate, well,
a topic. <Soj'e' Suja'chuq>. The <Soj'e'> here is not the object - there is
none - it's just a "header noun", as Krankor calls them, or an "other noun"
as recent discussions on the list have called them. <Soj'e' Suja'chuq> would
basically mean "On the subject of food, y'all discussed/conferred".

I brought up a similar example - <paq'e' jInaj> - years ago, back when I was
a wee beginner, and it was met with a confused "huh?". The recent
disccusions on the list have made it relevant again, I think. I'd like to
hear other opinions.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarain

Back to archive top level