tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 09 13:34:10 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

['IwlIj ghogh yIQoy'.]
> Look at the Klingon words.  If you have a copy of TKW handy, look at the
> detailed description of the phrase for an explanation of how it indeed is
> commanding one to "hear".

ah. I've always seen this as just an example that {yIQoy'} meant
"listen!". I see that I'm wrong.

However, I still feel weird being commanded to do something
over which I have no control. to me, it sounds like
"Have green-coloured skin!" or "Be from an other planet!"

maybe the Klingon imperative includes the notion of "you must"/
"you've got to"? although that seems well covered by {-nIS}.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level