tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 09 11:45:40 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

jIjatlh:
> <<IMO, one cannot be ordered to "see" something one doesn't see. Any command
> to have a sensation is semantically void.>>

jang ghunchu'wI':
> jIQoch.  TKW page 31:
> 'IwlIj ghogh yIQoy.  "Listen to the voice of your blood."
>
> This parallels exactly the proposed {Hew yIlegh} "Look at the statue."

did you quote the wrong part of my post?
I don't see how your example contradicts my statement.

you are not ordered to experinece a sensation,
you are ordered to direct the attention of the
appropriate sensory organ to something.

it does not necesserily follow, that you "hear"
anything, even if you "listen".

you cannot order a blind man to see, a deaf woman to hear
(unless their faith is strong enough...)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level