tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 04 22:15:21 2000

Re: -law' (was KLBC)

ja' De'vID:
>It's not so much the deitic context that is bothering me as the
>fact that the word "apparently" is being interpreted as something
>broader than "with uncertainty".  I can agree that the /-law'/
>is qualified from the Klingon Science Guy's point of view, but
>I have difficulty accepting that he's expressing uncertainty
>rather than perception.  "The ship apparently disappears" doesn't
>necessarily mean "The ship disappears but I am not certain about
>that", but rather "The ship is perceived to have disappeared."
>The Klingon Science Guy should know with certainty just what
>the ship is actually doing.

I was thinking along those lines myself, but I hadn't quite gotten around
to putting anything down in words.  The Skybox reference does seem to be
using {-law} to talk about illusion as opposed to uncertainty.

I guess we'll have to live with it as an example, even if it might not be
perfectly in step with the rules as written.  I'll probably end up being
extremely careful about my use of {-law'} now, but I don't think I'll have
difficulty understanding the intent behind a phrase like {machlaw' ghew
'ach tInbej}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level