tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 01 18:33:22 2000

RE: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

I think you are fixating on the idea of {-vaD} marking the benefactor of an
action. While this is true, it is also true that in the Addendum on page 180
of TKD, section 6.8, Okrand has expanded {-vaD}'s function to basically be a
marker for an indirect object. A lot of nouns are indirect objects that
might not be considered the "benefactor" of the action.

This is why I consider the target of an action, when the verb does not
typically have a target as its direct object, to be appropriate for {-vaD}.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level