tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 27 19:56:12 2000

Re: meqleH (again)

jatlh Voragh:

> Oops.  [insert replacement provberb]  I was referring to the Klingon
> cultural database - whatever it's called - not the Klingon linguistics
> section with the tlhIngan Hol words from Marc Okrand.  That's the part of
> the site that has the Paramount-created terms, character names, ship names,
> foods, rituals, etc. from the episodes -- all given with the spelling the
> Paramount writers used in the scripts, captions and the Encyclopedia.
Yes, and if the spelling was wrong, it was as much the data entry people in
StarTrek.com, more so than the Writers.

> Presumably there's an entry for *mek'leth*.  I didn't even think that there
> may also be a Okrand sound file for {meqleH}.
I don't remember if there is [still looking, there are a lot of sound files],
but I do know he pronounces it MEK-LEKH (there's that wierd pronunciation guide
again).

> BTW, I haven't visited the site for months.  (I only have a slow
> connection, too sluggish to efficiently handle all the great graphics and
> sounds at the site.)
Understood. Get thee Cable, Sattelite, or ADSL, oh wise & capable Ca'Non Master.

> Has Okrand been adding words and sound files over
> the past year?
He added over 150, before the qep'a' last summer. I believe they were to have
slowly released these, as they were prepared for presentation. There were also
another 70 odd words that had been on the back burner (because they were
unintelligeable, as copied by Data entry at there at Paramount). All source
material had been transcribed from handwritten documents & tapes, directly from Dr.
Okrand. Not very well, on the first try. ALL of the original 'descriptions' were
created, and elaborated in whole or part by web staff at Paramount.

With help, it was all released within 3-5 weeks(especially after one 4 day
weekend).

Greatest care was taken to ensure the acuracy of translations ('descriptions'), and
pronunciations were faithfully reconstructed using TKD as a transcription guide.
Keep It Simple Student, was the Prime Directive in this effort.

> Has the cultural database been updated with Klingon
> references from the last season of DS9 and the current season of Voyager?
> (i.e. "Barge of the Dead")?
Not to the best of my knowledge. I believe Dr. O sent these to the KLI, in the
current HolQeD, before sending them elsewhere {qatlho'!]

> It's definitely a great resource when these
> non-linguistic cultural questions arise.
We would have to be able to maintain a stable, _Authorized_ connection with the
managing staff at StarTrek.com. Yes, it would be a very useful tool.
I would feel more confident in it's service, if yourself, or one of the pab 'utlh
were in positions of authority there. The friends of Maltz couldn't have a better
forum.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

=====
Qor'etlh valwI'na', HoS ne', buraD tuq, tlhIngan wo' may yo'
Duy'a'tlhIngan wo',tera'gnan veng wa'DIchDaq:Washington D.C.
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Stage/4685
Imperial Klingon Battle Fleet: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/ikbf
ELINT: tlhIngan wo' Duj Qo'noS qa': http://www.qnis.net/~klingon/Spirit_of_Kronos/
KLI qepHom 'utlhHom: /kli/qepHom.phtml