tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 26 15:18:13 2000

Re: ghung Qov (was Re: talking about the degree of quality of something)

jatlh Qov:
> David, /tujqu'/ and /bIrqu'/ do not have the literal meanings "boiling" and
> "freezing," but to translate English like, "It's boiling inside a Klingon
> Bird of Prey" or "I was freezing because I wore only a tunic while it
> snowed" they work well.

choyajchu'qu', Qov!  I was thinking about "freezing" in the sense of temperature,
i.e. "it's freezing outside".  Originally I was going to use <taD(moH)>, but
then I realized that Klingon might not have this idiomatic usage of "freezing",
so I changed the Klingon to <bIrqu'> without changing my English translation
to match.  I like <*charghwI'>'s suggestion to use similes.  (Though I
probably used too many wierd ones in my post about the weather... I couldn't
think of a straighforward way to say "smooth" and "slippery"!  Dujmey
law' vIchIjpu'be', 'ach jIghoj 'e' vItIv.)

jatlh Qov:
> DaH jIghung, 'ach jIbuDqu' je.  jIbuDtaHmo', bIrmoHwI'wIjDaq Soj tu'lu'be'.

Do'Ha'.  pIj Soj vISamlaHbe' je.  "cupboard"wIjDaq "instant noodle" law'
tu'lu'.  jIbuDqu' je, 'ach ngeDqu' bIQ pubmeH Qu'.  qaS cha' tup poH,
ghIq Soj bISoplaH.

> not Soj jIwammeH jIleng.  DaHjaj pizza vIneHbe'.  chay' jIvang?  pIj ghu'vam
> vISIQ.

nuq DaSop DaneH?  *falafel, *garlic bread, *chicken wings, *China-ngan
Soj, qagh joq DaSoplaH, 'ej Dara'chugh Sojmeyvetlh qemlu'.  (Well maybe
not <qagh>...)

> Answers to this dilemna will be gratefully received.
> Qov 'utlh

"cupboard"lIjDaq "instant noodle" ngaSwI' yIpol!  not bIghung.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level