tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 25 19:46:30 2000

Re: talking about the degree of quality of something

At 17:45 00-01-25 -0500, charghwI' wrote:
}On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:06:35 -0500 (EST)
}[email protected] wrote:

}> I have <tuj> "hot", <tujqu'> for "boiling",
}
}You obviously made that up.
}
}> <bIr>
}> "cold", <bIrqu"> for "freezing"
}
}You obviously made that up, too.

Well, sure he made it up, charghwI', but he made it up out of the elements
of the Klingon language.  That's what folk are supposed to do.  You can't
fault someone for asking questions that include guesses and suggestions of
the answers.

David, /tujqu'/ and /bIrqu'/ do not have the literal meanings "boiling" and
"freezing," but to translate English like, "It's boiling inside a Klingon
Bird of Prey" or "I was freezing because I wore only a tunic while it
snowed" they work well.

If a person always translates /bIrqu'/ as "very cold" and /tujqu'/ as "very
hot," he or she is going to sound like a machine.  Sometimes "starving" is
the best translation for /ghungqu'/ but /ghungqu' puq/ doesn't really tell
me whether the child has a bloated belly and sticklike arms, or has been
running around for three hours since lunch.

Hmm, speaking of ghung ...

DaH jIghung, 'ach jIbuDqu' je.  jIbuDtaHmo', bIrmoHwI'wIjDaq Soj tu'lu'be'.
not Soj jIwammeH jIleng.  DaHjaj pizza vIneHbe'.  chay' jIvang?  pIj ghu'vam
vISIQ.

Answers to this dilemna will be gratefully received.
Qov 'utlh

Back to archive top level