tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 02:26:49 2000

KLBC: qorDu'wI'

pagh jatlhneS:
>> DaHjaj qun qorDu'wIj vIQul 'e' vItaH
>In English, you can say either "my family's history" or "the history of
my
>family". In Klingon, there's only one way to do this: <qorDu'wIj tuq>.

luq

>> {Dovesdale} pong wejmaj
>Three what? Three brothers? Three farms?
I meant to say:
	Du'majvaD {Dovesdale} ponglu'
I got confused with {wIj}

> If it's "The three farms were called Dovesdale", then it's:
> wej Du'vaD {Dovesdale} ponglu'.

The only probelm is that I didn't know how to say this part of the family
history:
	"...The three other brothers settled on farms around Stonehouse,
Lanarkshire.
	One was called Dovesdale, our part of the family" (my
great-grandmother)

> Hegh chaH

Hegh Hoch net Sov.

Hmmm... I mean that "Generations lived and died"... I wanted to give the
sense of a hundred or
so years passing...

> I think you're missing something here. Do you mean  bogh puqDaj
{Thomas},
> {Agnes} je?> I assume Thomas is a {puqloD} rather than a {puqbe'}.
Yes

>> {Master Jeweller} pong ghaH
>ghaHvaD {Master Jeweller} ponglu'.
I see...

>> vaj baq tuq pong

> qatlh? pong taHmoHlaHbe''a' {Thomas}? chaq puqloD lIngbe' {Thomas}.

Yes, but that begins another branch of the family... The
Bramhall-Muters...

>> bochmoHwI' ghaH
>> Huch vI'wI' qab ghaH
>Do'Ha'.
He was a bit tight-fisted with money, too!

>> {Europe}Daq quq lul'a'mey
><lul> is a verb. <may'> is the noun for battle and <noH> is the noun for
>war. You probably want one of these.
Yes I meant: {Europe}Daq quq noH'a'mey

>> bIHmo' QI'maj toy' vavnI'wI'
>maj. reH wo' Hubrup Hoch ghot quv.
pup! ghaHmo' jIHem... tera' DIS 1981 Hegh ghaH. wa' ben jIH. neH qunDaj
vISov.

>> puvwI'meyDaq Sogh DeghwI' je ghaH
>maj. We tend to use <muD Duj> for "airplane" on this list, since <puvwI'>
is
>as likely to be one who pilots a plane (or flaps his arms really hard) as
>the plane itself.

Noted for dictionary!

>DujDaj Qaw' {Italian Destroyer}.
It wasn't destroyed. It was... "downed" (?)

>> {POW} raqDaq lujoy' Ha'DIbaHmey
><raQ>, not <raq>. Also, was he really tortured by animals? <petaQpu'>
might
>be better if you are talking about enemy at the prison camp.
Ha'DIbaH is my favourite an most easily memorised swear-word! Plus I
wanted it to mean
animals too (in a pejorative sense).

>> Do' maHDaq chegh
>We have found out recently that the object <chegh> is the destination
>returned to, so you could say <Do' nuchegh ghaH> (or just <Do' nuchegh>).

Noted

>> DISmey {1970s} vavwI' ghom SoSoywI'
>> DIS 1977 naychaq chaH
>Again, <vavwI' nay SoSwI' 'ej SoSwI' Saw vavwI'>. Note also that <-oy> is
>used mostly by children. It is rarely used by adolescents or anyone older
>(except maybe Captain Krankor).
I wanted to say "Nana"...

>> DIS 1980 mabogh loDnI'wI' jIH je
>vaj SuQupba'. va! DaH jIqanchoH 'e' vItlhoj.
Sorry :)

>> Qav repDaq vItagh
I meant it took me an hour to finish... but I didn't know how to say that
;)

>All in all this was a pretty long and complex message you tried to write.
It
>was far from perfect, but you did very well for a first attempt. I hope
>others follow. maj.
Do you remember you gave advice saying write about anything and
everything...? I was doing
some genealogy that day, so I just thought I'd write about it! (And learn
something in the process)

jenwI'

*mutta'* tuq
[email protected]