tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 12 12:38:10 2000

HolQeD paqwIj

In my Linguistics workbook, there is a section concerning Klingon.  It covers basic sentences, (yaS legh puq, relegh maH, etc.) and has a few exercises in it as well.  Here they are (I must give the data so the questions can be answered):
1. puq legh yaS - The officer sees the child.
2. yaS leg puq - The child sees the officer.
3. puq vIlegh jIH - I see the child.
4. jIH mulegh puq - The child sees me.
5. puq vIlegh - I see the child.
6. mulegh puq - The child sees me.
7. puq lulegh yaSpu' - The officers see the child.
8. Salegh - I see you (pl.).
9. tlhIH Salegh - I see you (pl.).
10. Salegh jIH - I see you (pl.).
11. relegh - We see you (pl.).
12. relegh maH - We see you (pl.).
13. yaSpu' legh puq - The child sees the officers.
14. jIH tulegh tlhIH - You (pl.) see me.
15. nulegh yaSpu' - The officers see us.
16. maH nulegh - They see us.

A. Isolate all the morphemes in the data, giving the meaning or function of each.
B. What is the basic sequencing of subject, object, and verb in Klingon?  Name any Earth languages you are familiar with that employ this particular sequencing as a basic word order.
C. Judging from the data, what elements of a Kliungon sentence are optional?  Are these same elements optional in English?  If not, what is it about Klingon grammar that allows the omission of these elements?  Explain.
D. Translate into English: tlhIH relegh
E. Translate into Klingon: The children see the officer.

Daj.  qar qonwI' pabDaj.
T'Lod

Back to archive top level