tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 14:20:54 2000

RE: KLBC: qorDu'wI' (fwd)

jatlh jenwI':

> Can someone sortof correct/comment on this for me?
> jenwI'

lu'. It was in my drafts folder waiting for a free moment. One comment on
the subject line: <-wIj>, not <-wI'>. You've got it right in the body of the
post, though.

> DaHjaj qun qorDu'wIj vIQul 'e' vItaH
In English, you can say either "my family's history" or "the history of my
family". In Klingon, there's only one way to do this: <qorDu'wIj tuq>.

Also, <taH> is "continue, go on, endure, survive". As such, something can
<taH>, but you can't <taH> something else. You could just say: <...
vIQultaH>, though. That means what you want it to.

> tera' DIS 1764 {France}vo' {Scotland} ghoS qorDu'wIj
maj.

> {Leith}Daq paw loS loDnI'pu' {Mutter} tuq
This is OK up to the last bit. <loS loDnI'pu' {Mutter} tuq> makes it sound
like the <tuq> which belonged to the four brothers was what arrived.
Instead, four brothers of the <tuq> arrived:

{Leith}Daq paw {Mutter} tuq loS loDnI'pu'.

> {Edinburgh}Daq juH chenmoH wa'DIch
maj.

> {Lanarkshire}Daq {Stonehouse}Daq wIjmey chenmoH wej
The noun for "farm" is <Du'>. <wIj> is the verb. This might also be a good
place for <cher> - "establish" - rather than <chenmoH>.

> {Dovesdale} pong wejmaj
Three what? Three brothers? Three farms?

You also need to know how the verb <pong> works, since I think you have it a
little backwards. The name is the object of <pong>, the person or thing
doing the naming is the subject, and the thing that the name is applied to
gets a <-vaD> put onto it. If the thing with <-vaD> is a pronoun, the prefix
trick can sometimes be applied. See the FAQ for a detailed explanation of
the prefix trick. For example:

SajmajvaD ZaZu wIpong  -  We call our pet ZaZu.
pagh vIponglu'         -  I am called pagh.
qatlh nuch chopong?    -  Why did you call me a coward?

If you're saying "Three brothers called their farm Dovesdale", then it's:
Du'chajvaD {Dovesdale} lupong wej loDnI'.

If it's "The three farms were called Dovesdale", then it's:
wej Du'vaD {Dovesdale} ponglu'.

> yIn puq poHpu' law'

In English, a "generation" can either be a period of time or a group of
people living in that period. In Klingon, a <puq poH> is clearly only a
period of time, not a group of people, so you have to recast this:
<qaStaHvIS puq poH law' yIn no'wI'>, or something similar.

> Hegh chaH

Hegh Hoch net Sov.

> Quch mIp je 'e' lumoj chaH

<moj> works for nouns, as in <targh moj vIghro'> - "the cat became a targ".
It doesn't work with verbs. Klingon has a very nice built in tool for that:
the suffix <-choH>. You can say:

QuchchoH chaH 'ej mIpchoH

> tera' DIS 1880 {Cathcart}Daq bogh SoSwI' SoSnI'.
maj.

> puqbe' {Thomas} {Agnes}
I think you're missing something here. Do you mean <bogh puqDaj {Thomas},
{Agnes} je?> I assume Thomas is a {puqloD} rather than a {puqbe'}.

> Degh'a' chenmoH ghaH
maj.

> {Master Jeweller} pong ghaH
ghaHvaD {Master Jeweller} ponglu'.

> nay {Agnes} je {James} {Moore} tuq.
OK, the word <nay> is what the wife does to the husband. As such, it should
be:

{James} {Moore} tuq nay {Agnes}.

> vaj baq tuq pong

qatlh? pong taHmoHlaHbe''a' {Thomas}? chaq puqloD lIngbe' {Thomas}.

> jonwI' moj {James}
maj.

> bochmoHwI' ghaH
> Huch vI'wI' qab ghaH
Do'Ha'.

> yInDaj SIQ {Agnes}
> QuchHa' taHbej ghaH
Suffix order and a typo: <QuchHa'bejtaH ghaH>.

> {Burmah}Daq {Syriam}Daq tu'wI' moj chaH
> DIS 1911 {Syriam}Daq bogh SoSnI'wI'
> ghojmoq moj SosnI'wI'

> parmaq lughaj ghaH {Edward} je
> naychaq chaH
If you mean <naychuq>, this is not possible. A wife can only <nay>, but a
husband can only <Saw>. <{Edward} nay SoSnI'wI'> works, though.

> {Europe}Daq quq lul'a'mey
<lul> is a verb. <may'> is the noun for battle and <noH> is the noun for
war. You probably want one of these.

> bIHmo' QI'maj toy' vavnI'wI'
maj. reH wo' Hubrup Hoch ghot quv.

> puvwI'meyDaq Sogh DeghwI' je ghaH
maj. We tend to use <muD Duj> for "airplane" on this list, since <puvwI'> is
as likely to be one who pilots a plane (or flaps his arms really hard) as
the plane itself.

> tlhoS yolmeyvetlhDaq Hegh ghaH
yIntaHmo' Do'ba' ghaH.

> {Italian Destroyer} bachmeymo' len puvwi'Daj
<len> - "break" is a noun, as in "coffee break". This whole sentence could
be simplified greatly as:

DujDaj Qaw' {Italian Destroyer}.

> {POW} raqDaq lujoy' Ha'DIbaHmey
<raQ>, not <raq>. Also, was he really tortured by animals? <petaQpu'> might
be better if you are talking about enemy at the prison camp.

> Do' maHDaq chegh
We have found out recently that the object <chegh> is the destination
returned to, so you could say <Do' nuchegh ghaH> (or just <Do' nuchegh>).

> DISmey {1970s} vavwI' ghom SoSoywI'
> DIS 1977 naychaq chaH
Again, <vavwI' nay SoSwI' 'ej SoSwI' Saw vavwI'>. Note also that <-oy> is
used mostly by children. It is rarely used by adolescents or anyone older
(except maybe Captain Krankor).

> DIS 1980 mabogh loDnI'wI' jIH je
vaj SuQupba'. va! DaH jIqanchoH 'e' vItlhoj.

> DoHa' DISvetlhDaq Hegh 'a jItaHtaH
No <-Daq> on <DISvetlh>, and you have a typo in <Do'Ha'>.

> DIS 1988 nayHa' vav SoSoy je
Again, <vav nayHa' SoSoy>.

> QIn vIvumtaH
<vum> is "work, toil" rather than "work on", so you can't say <QIn vIvum>.
Instead, you can say <QInvam vIqonmeH jIvumtaH>.

> Qav repDaq vItagh
Ah, <Qav>. It means "last" as in "final", but not "last" as in "previous".
If you want to say "I finished it an hour ago", you can use one of the new
words Okrand revealed to us recently: <ret>. <ret> means "a time period
ago", much like <Hu'> means "day(s) ago", but with <ret>, you can specify
the time period. So <wa' rep ret> is "a one hour period ago" or "one hour
ago".

All in all this was a pretty long and complex message you tried to write. It
was far from perfect, but you did very well for a first attempt. I hope
others follow. maj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ