tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 10 21:02:23 2000

Re: language vs. culture (was Re: Teaching Klingon)

ja' pIl'o':
>DI'vI' Hol  vIlo'mo' SatlhIj. wej ta' Hol vIjatlhlaHbe':

laHlIj DaDubtaH.  bIghItlhHa' 'ej bIpabHa' 'ach qayajlaH.

>there's something wonderfully uninhibiting about gluing that itchy,
>sweaty thing on your head when everybody else is doing the same thing.

I've never been to a "Klingon" convention, just the KLI's conferences
which have the language as the focal point.  Because not everyone else
is doing it, I don't feel the "peer pressure" to put on the costume in
order to fit in.  I suppose I would be more inclined to "go Klingon" at
an event where the playacting is the main attraction.

But the real reason I'm writing this is to disagree with the suggestion
that putting on a prosthetic forehead is uninhibiting.  I have usually
felt *very* uncomfortable putting on a fake persona for whatever reason,
and I'm afraid I actually find wearing a costume highly constraining.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level