tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 22:23:19 2000

RE: Dictionary

ja' pagh:
>I personally use an Access database to track vocabulary, although I admit it
>is fairly out of date.

I finally decided to use Access for my vocabulary list also.  Being able
to produce reports in various formats is a very useful feature to have.

After seeing how ohter people deal with sorting, I have to marvel at
the way almost all of us turn {n} and {ng} into "n1" and "n2", etc.,
with "z" taking the place of {'}. :-)

>With some work designing the database, you can print
>a nice looking Klingon-English wordlist, and with some more work, you can do
>the same the other way.

My primary output from the database is a file that is formatted for the
Palm Dictionary module maker.  But I've done some experimentation with
sending it to a page layout program to make a *very* nice looking list
in Klingon order.  It's not nearly as easy going the other direction,
with all the various English words used to define a single Klingon word.

>ghunchu'wI' has done a particularly nice job on his,
>printing it in a booklet format that he can carry around if he wants to.

My original intent for the booklet was to make something with *all* the
vocabulary in one place, and for it to be small enough to put it in my
pocket so I could have it with me at qep'a' without any problem.  Being
able *always* to carry it made it possible for me to practice Klingon
anywhere, jotting down little notes about what was going on.  And having
worn out one copy of TKD, I was hoping to take some of the strain off my
second copy so it would last for longer than a couple of years before it
fell apart. :-)  I didn't want to use a computerized translator, because
I quickly discovered that I stopped learning vocabulary once I installed
a Klingon word list on my computer.  It *had* to be a printed book so I
would have an incentive to memorize the words myself.

Now that I feel confident enough in my knowledge of vocabulary, I've let
myself have the luxury of a computer-based dictionary again.  I'm rather
happy with my carefully groomed Palm Dictionary module, and it's *much*
easier to keep it up to date than a printed list.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level