tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 05 07:31:51 2000

Re: Stovocor?

Steven Boozer wrote:
> Here's what I can remember off the top of my head...

nachlIj DungDaq ngoDmey law' lutu'lu'! =)

> It's usually spelled Sto-Vo-Kor in the closed captions and is the
> mythological place of the afterlife for the honored Klingon dead.  (As we
> recently saw in VOY "Barge of the Dead", the dishonored dead go to Gre'thor
> - {ghe'tor} or {ghe''or} - which is guarded by {veqlargh} Fek'lhr.)  AFAIK,
> Okrand has never given us a canonical tlhIngan Hol spelling for Sto-Vo-Kor.

vaj chang'eng bIH "Sto-Vo-Kor" "Gre'thor" je 'e'?

So do "Sto-Vo-Kor" and "Gre'thor" make a pair?  A better pair than
<QI'tu'> and <ghe'tor>?

> {QI'tu'} is the Klingon Paradise or Eden.  According to Sybok (ST5), it is
> the source of all creation in Klingon mythology.  It's the equivalent of
> the Vulcan Sha-Ka-Ree and Romulan Vorta-Vor.

The reason I asked about <ghe'tor> and <QI'tu'>/"Sto-Vo-Kor" is
because I am trying to approximate the terms "Gates of Hell" and
"Gates of Paradise (i.e. Heaven)" in the story of Hakuin (a famous
Japanese Zen master) and the samurai Nobushige.  I think that
<ghe'tor lojmItmey> would work.  However I am not sure about
<QI'tu' lojmItmey>, since <QI'tu'> isn't a place you go to.  On
the other hand if I were to say "Gates of Eden", I think it
would be understood even though Eden is no longer a place one
can go to.  And if I said "Gates of Sto-Vo-Kor", well, it seems
odd to me for Sto-Vo-Kor to have a gate.

The KLI has translated parts of the Bible, qar'a'?  I am wondering
how similar terms were rendered.

> How {qa'vam}, the Klingon name for planet Genesis, fits into this mythology
> is anyone's guess.

"This spirit"?  jISovbe'bej.  Perhaps in Klingon mythology creation
emanated from some kind of spirit?

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level