tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 02 20:04:48 2000

Re: New Millenium

DujHoD:
> Hol wa'DIch 'oH'a' DIvI' Hol?

Oto:
: I know that {Hol} means language, {wa'DIch} = first, {'oH} could be
: "it", {'a'} is a suffix = big, {DIvI'}= federation. But I'm still
: failing to understand.

Allow me, since you didn't flag this "KLBC".

{-'a'} on a noun = augmentative
{-'a'} on a verb = interrogative (forms questions)

{DIvI' Hol} = Federation Standard ("the Federation's language")

Remember that standard Klingon word order is OBJECT-VERB-SUBJECT (the
opposite of English--by an amazing coincidence!), Klingon has no articles,
and ordinal numbers follow their nouns.  So, putting this all together we
have:

  Hol wa'DIch 'oH'a' DIvI' Hol?
  Is Federation Standard the first language?

BTW, DujHoD made an error: He omitted the {-'e'} (topic) suffix which is
required on the subject in an "A is B" type sentence, even when a question.
 His question should have read:

  Hol wa'DIch 'oH'a' DIvI' Hol'e'?
  Is Federation Standard the first language?
  ("As for Federation Standard, is it the first language?")

Also, I would have added {-lIj} "your":

  HollIj wa'DIch 'oH'a' DIvI' Hol'e'?
  Is Federation Standard your first language?
  ("As for Federation Standard, is it your first language?")

or

  DIvI' Hol 'oH'a' HollIj wa'DIch'e'?
  Is your first language Federation Standard?
  ("As for your first language, is it Federation Standard?")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level