tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 29 22:23:26 2000

RE: KLBC some practice sentences

: jatlh J:
: > ramvam  wISay'moH  bIvumbogh  Qulpa'.
: > Tonight we will clean the lab where you work.
:
: <Qulpa'> is good for lab [...]

Indeed; Okrand used it in the Bird of Prey Poster:

  {De'wI' Qulpa'} "computer research lab" (BoPP)

: > jav  'uj  juch  chob'a'.
: > The main corridor is six uj wide.
:
: I'm not sure <chob'a'> works for "main corridor", especially if it's only
: six udges wide. To add <-'a'>, the noun has to be "bigger, more important,
: or more powerful" than the regular noun, and I don't know if just being
: designated the "main" corridor is enough of a distinction for this. I've

I don't see the problem (aside from the measurements).  The main corridor
is indeed "more important" than the others.  In a Bird of Prey this is the
corridor running up the tubular neck to the command pod from the
engineering, crew and cargo areas.  In other long, narrow ship designs the
{chob'a'} would probably refer to a central corridor from which other,
smaller passageways branch off - like ribs off the spine.

: often wished for a word meaning "main" or "primary" or something like that,
: but we don't have one.

Yes we do; it's {-'a'} "more important, more powerful":

  {chob'a'}           "main corridor" (BoPP)
  {De'wI' SoSbor'a'}  "main computer core" (BoPP)
  {jIH'a'}            "main viewscreen/viewer" (SP3)

Most people do however tend to focus on the "bigger" meaning of {-'a'},
forgetting its other connotations.

BTW, "prime, primary" can sometimes be translated by {wa'DIch}: e.g.
Cardassia Prime *{qarDaS wa'DIch}, the Prime Directive *{chut wa'DIch}.

: pagh
: Beginners' Grammarian

--
Voragh