tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 20:59:32 2000

RE: KLBC muDpIn

ja' pagh:
>In general, when an English word has two (or more) dissimilar meanings, it's
>best to assume that the Klingon word has only the primary meaning of the
>English word. Okrand often makes life easier by providing more explanation
>for the Klingon word, but not always. Here I think it's best to assume
>"admit" basically means "confess".

The next-to-last proverb in The Klingon Way:

  QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH.  Have the courage to admit your mistakes.

The "confess" or "acknowledge" meaning is the one Okrand used.

>There's generally not a good way to talk about "tickets" in Klingon - I
>know; I've tried. The best thing you can do is to describe them:

The word {chaw'} "permit" seems very useful when trying to describe a
ticket concisely.  {'elmeH chaw'} or {jeSmeH chaw'} or {bejmeH chaw'}
all work for various kinds of tickets.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level