tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 22 18:29:28 2000

RE: cha'DIch vInID

jatlh De'vID

> Now I know that words in Klingon don't necessarily work in the same
> way (since it is an artificial language), but I find it interesting
> that <tayqeq> is composed of <tay> "ritual (n), be civilized (v)"
> and <qeq> "military drill (n), practise, train, prepare (v)".  Could
> it be that the early Klingons considered a people civilized only
> if their practised rituals, and in particular if they ritualized
> their military drills?

I've always considered it significant that the word for be civilized was
the word for ritual, but I didn't associate the qeq in tayqeq with the
military in military drill.  Rather I associated it with the orderly system
and organization in military drills.  That is, a tayqeq involves an orderly
system of rituals.  That said, it's just as possible that given two words,
somewhat alike but etymologically unrelated, one for civilization and one
for ritual, that Klingons who associated rituals as the way of civilized
people came to pronounce them both the same way.

Back to archive top level