tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 14:27:17 2000

Re: tlhIngan-Hol Digest 15 Feb 2000 09:00:00 -0000 Issue 1453

In a message dated 2/15/2000 4:01:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> >From: "Eric Andeen" <[email protected]>
>
>  >In English, a lot of verbs use helper pronouns - listen to, concentrate
on,
>  >participate in, etc. Klingon doesn't work this way. Often the English
>  >helper
>  >pronoun is built into the verb, as in <buS> - "concentrate on". But
>  >sometimes the Klingon verb doesn't work like the English verb at all, like
>  ><'Ij> - "listen".
>  >
>  >You (probably) can't say <Duj vI'Ij> in Klingon any more than you could
say
>  >"I listen the car" in English. And you *definitely* can't say <DujDaq
>  >jI'Ij>
>  >to mean "I listen to the car". This would actually mean that I am doing my
>  >listening *in* (or by,at,on,etc.) the car, which is quite different. The
>  >noun suffix <-Daq> is *only* used for spatial concepts of location or
>  >motion, and can't fill in for English's helper pronouns.

All of the so-called helper pronouns above are prepositions and sometimes
particles. Pronouns are words like: I, me, we, us, you, he; his, her, my,
your; this, that; which, who, what.
Everything else is fine.
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level