tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 13 18:30:30 2000

RE: KLBC: Hamlet

ja' pagh:
>You have to ask what "should" (or "ought") really means. I interpret it as
>meaning that some implicit standard requires the action. Klingon doesn't
>really have a word or construction which allows you to do this, so you have
>to make the standard explicit, which is exactly what you did. maj.

Klingon *does* have the verb suffix {-lu'}, which I think works fine to
gloss over what exactly the "explicit standard" is.

I believe {jIvang net poQ} approximates "I ought to act" rather closely.

>> [p.s. The part about me wanting to kill people is fictional,
>> in case anyone's worried...  I have had extensive training,
>> not to mention plastic surgery, to enable me to live
>> relatively unnoticed amongst Federation citizens.]
>
>bIDel'eghtaHvIS, charghwI' choqawmoHbej.

jaSHa' Qub yab'a'pu'.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level