tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 08 04:30:30 2000

Re: some puns...

Mike Crane wrote:
> I tried looking at these puns but I can't find the page. Is
> this the right address?

I had explained this in my response to Carleton.  I'll provide
the English of what I was trying to say:

qen jIjatlh:
> *URL-vam vISuchlaHbe'law', *website choHlu'bejmo'.  HIDjolev vIlo'
> 'ej February 1997 jabbI'ID tlhegh vIlaD.

"I apparently cannot visit this URL, since the website is undergoing
(or underwent) renovation.  I used the menu to read the February
1997 thread."

To find the message, try this:
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/February/

Presumably, judging by the message number (assuming they didn't
change under the website re-organization), this is the message
referred to above:
/tlhIngan-Hol/1997/February/msg00136.html
[Yup - I just received Carleton's mail and it's the same one.]

Be careful though, many of the "puns" are really speculative.
(Well, so was my <quS> from "cushion"... for all I know MO has a
favourite chair named "Koosh".)

[For example, giving the above message a quick read... I always
thought <nol> came from "grassy knoll", which is what I
associate with funerals.  Apparently someone else has a different
derivation for it, so likely both of us are just reading our
own expectations back into the word.]

jatlh qa'ral:
>(Your pun on {lav} is quite beyond me.)

I doubt MO was thinking this, but when I saw <lav> "shrub" I thought
"lavatory".  I know the word means different things depending on which
dialect of English (as does restroom, powder room, washroom, etc.), but
the meaning that I am familiar with means a room with, ahem, toilet
facilities.  Now imagine a warrior going off to battle and he really,
ahem, needs to pee.  He sees a shrub and thinks "lav"atory...

Like I said, it's probably more the workings of my own demented mind
than of MO's.  He might have actually been thinking "lav"ender, a kind
of plant.  Or it's not a pun and he just made it up because it sounded
good.  (Considering that some of the Klingon sounds could represent
any number of English letters {e.g. tlh = z, kl}, and the fact that
Klingon words are mostly monosyllabic, some of them will sound like
they are puns unintentionally, to people who think hard enough.)

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level