tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 17:40:53 2000

RE: Is there anyone out there in Birmingham? (Now KLBC)

> Hello all, I've only just started learning Klingon, and was just wondering
> if there's anyone out there in Birmingham. This is new to me, I've been
> interested in languages for a long time, and I've been learning languages
> such as Welsh, Zulu, Yoruba, Sioux, Navajo, Tongan, Samoan and Fijian.
> I thought it was about time to try out Klingon, as I'm also interested in
> that and would like to know if there are any groups around who meet up and

> speak Klingon together.

jatlh qIroS:

> *birmingham*Daq Dablu'chugh 'e' vISovbe' 'ach *newcastle*Daq vIDab

The verb <Dab> means "dwell in/at; reside in/at", so you don't need the
<-Daq> suffix on the place names. Also, you really can't use <'e'> with a
<-chugh> clause. <'e'> represents the whole setence before it, and <...
Dablu'chugh> is not a complete sentence. You could instead say:

*Birmingham* Dablu' 'e' vISovbe' - "I don't know that someone/anyone lives
in Birmingham"
*Birmingham* Dabbogh pagh vISov - "I don't know anyone who lives in
Birmingham"

I guess it's implied that we're only talking about Klingon speakers.

> tlhIngan Hol chojatlh DaneH'a' vaj mI'wIj *07968657912* Dalo'laH

Either the <-'a'> should be a <-chugh> or you need a question mark.

> *england*Daq boDabchugh Hoch 'ej tlhIngan Hol bojatlh boneH'a'
> vaj je mI'wIj bolo'laH

Same deal here.

> Comments from BG on the above grammar?

Pretty good.

> Translation:
>
> I do not know if anyone (else) lives in Birmingham but I live in
Newcastle.

> If you want to speak klingon with me then you are able to use my number.
>
> If anyone else lives in england and they want to speak klingon then they
> are also able to use my number

> qIroS

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian