tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 02 14:40:22 2000

Re: Klingon Music

> 	There has been a lot of discussion on what a 'nonave' is, and how
> Klingon music relates to Terran music.  I can't remember who's idea it was,
> but someone came up with the notion that a nonave is equivalent to an octave
> and a fifth, thus: (yu C, bIm E, 'egh F, loS G, vagh A, jav C', Soch E',
> chorgh F', and yu G').  The next nonave would continue from there, ending up
> on yu D'''.  This would give a more open and pure sound to Klingon music,
> and it would be playable on any standard Terran musical instrument.  Of
> course the number of flats and sharps would change with each nonave,
> (according to the Terran way of thinking about music.)  I really like this
> idea, it fits very nicely into musical theory as well, with all the pure
> ratios having denominators of 1 through 4: (yu 1/1, bIm 5/4, 'egh 4/3, loS
> 3/2, vagh 5/3, jav 2/1, Soch 5/2, chorgh 8/3, and yu again 3/1.  I'm really
> going out on a limb here, but a 'minor' version of this scale is possible
> with the introduction of the /5's: bImHom 6/5, vaghHom 8/5, and SochHom
> 12/5.  I welcome further discussion on or off list with anyone.
>
> 	- tuv'el

It's a good theory but I thought the idea of a scale was
that it started and ended on the same note. Besides which
our octave actuall has 12 notes in it and the main eight
aren't whole tones apart. Would the nonave have the
flats/sharps in the same place as the octave? I know not
all Human cultures developed the octave (certain ethnic
music making use of the pentatonic scale). Perhaps there's
and exaple of 'nonatonic' (if that's the right term) music
right here on Earth. Anyone know?

Mike

Back to archive top level