tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 13:51:33 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: lop (v)

: Klingon word:     lop
: Part of Speech:   verb
: Definition:       observe, celebrate (a ritual)
: Additional Notes: Also in KGT.

As used in canon:

  vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'.
  So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

  yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
  Celebrate! Tomorrow we may die! TKW

  'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq
  If you don't use the painstik, the child will never celebrate his
   Age of Ascension. TKW

  Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'. Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq bey
   SeQ lujach
  other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of the
   Klingon death ritual. S31

  nentay loptaHvIS tlhIngan potlh tlhIngan 'oy'naQ'e'
  The Klingon Painstik is an important part of a Klingon's Age of
   Ascension ceremony. S32

  wa'leS maghob. ghIQ malop.
  Tomorrow we will do battle. Then (after that) we'll celebrate. (HQ 8.3)

Related vocabulary includes the nouns {lop} "celebration", {lopno'} "party,
celebration" - apparently a special type of {lop}: the only example we've
seen is the one in KCD held to celebrate Pok's {nentay} and it's full of
references to family traditions and ancestry {no'} - and {yupma'} "festival".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level