tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 10:26:54 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (-'a' and -Hom)

While your intent here is good, I think your examples could have been better
chosen. You say that {-'a'} and {-Hom} do not necessarily refer to size, yet
in every example you offer, the only difference between X, X'a' and XHom is
size, until you get to {SuS}, and some people might still consider that to
be a matter of size.

Better examples are:

Duy - agent, emmissary
Duy'a' - ambassador

veng - city
vengHom - village

While you might consider a village to be a small city, realize that there is
a fundamental difference in quality other than size between a city and a
village. Most of the time, you can tell whether you are in a city or village
even inside a room in someone's home because of the difference in
sophistication of the facilities.

A ten story apartment building, alone at the side of a highway would not be
called a village, even if its population were identical to that of a
village. A huge, sprawling collection of adobe huts without commerce or
plumbing would not be called a city, even if it had millions of people
living in it.

A city is more significant than a village, as an ambassador is more
significant than a government agent or emmissary. Size is often related to
significance, as in the difference between a boulder, a rock and a pebble,
but the suffix relates to the significance, not the size. A precious, small
diamond might be considered {nagh'a' mach} while a large lump of common
sandstone might be considered {naghHom tIn}.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level