tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 27 04:42:01 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (bo-)

ok, obviously, my position is much weaker than I thought
in the beginning. I'll answer some points, however:

> ja' HomDoq:
> >>
> >> I disagree.  The verb should have *no* subject; the noun created by {-wI'}
> >> becomes the subject, and can certainly be plural.
> >>
> >as my own example shows, I made a mistake w.r.t. sg/pl, but the
> >verb cannot have a 1st or 2nd person subject, qar'a'?
>
> If you wish to consider that {-wI'} fits on a verb having an overt subject,
> I don't see a reason for you to limit it to third person subjects.
> Assuming {luHoHwI'} is acceptable, what would be different about
> {DaHoHwI'}?  There doesn't seem to be a distinction in the grammatical
> basis for "they who kill him" and "you who kill him".

my original thought went along "one" in "one who kills..." is like
the subject of "kill", and can be pluralized to "ones". That doesn't
work with the "-er" derivation at all.... so fagettaboutit

> >(you make the *additional* claim that it "should have *no* subject")
>
> It's not an "additional" claim.  It's an explicit *lack* of extension from
> the way {-wI'} is described and used in The Klingon Dictionary.

I meant of course "in addition to what I claim"

> >{HoH} can only mean one of five things (disregarding tenses in English):
> >
> >i) he/she/it kills
> >ii) they kill
> >iii) he/she/it kills him/her/it
> >iv) he/she/it kills them
> >v) they kill them
> >
> >other combinations of subject/object require prefixes different from 0
> >and are thus (in my mind) not represented by {HoH}.
>
> Huh?!  Where do you get the bizarre idea that {HoH} only works with the
> null prefix?  The first time {HoH} appears in TKD is on page 37:
>
>   {choHoHvIp} "You are afraid to kill me" ({HoH} "kill")
>
> Here, "kill" is undeniably represented by {HoH}, even while the combination
> of subject/object is "you [do something to] me" and requires the {cho-}
> prefix.

I was talking about the word, *not* the syllable

> And you're (intentionally?) ignoring the meaning of the bare verb {HoH}
> without a prefix.

why, of course! My whole point was, that the un-prefixed verb form
cannot be used in a sentence. I no longer claim that. But I still
think it is only used in conjunction with suffixes {-wI'},  {-meH}
and {-ghach}

> That's how it's presented in TKD, as just plain "kill"
> without a subject or object mentioned.

obviously, that was the whole point of the disagreement:
whether this is the best way to translate {HoH} *to a beginner*

> >It may sound strange
> >to you, but in order to form {vIHoH} I "replace" the 0-prefix by {vI-}
>
> Now I'm confused.  I guess you're emphasizing that you never see {HoH} as
> lacking a prefix?

exactly (note though, that I retracted this strong form of my claim)

> I'm not really understanding what your point is anymore,
> so I can no longer reply.  Perhaps that is for the best.

hope I clarified my point.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]