tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 24 12:02:09 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (bo-)

> >what did you think {luHoHwI'} means?

Alan Anderson:
> The only thing I can possibly interpret it as is "they who kill him", but
> it gets there through the odd literal meanings of "one who
> (they-kill-him)" or "(they-kill-him)er".  It's a "givation" sort of
> thing, where it has only one conceivable meaning, even if it sounds
> completely wrong.

DaHoHwI' sounds to me like ``agent of your killing'' - though I can't
decide between a causative and a performative agent.

That is, does the DaHoHwI' make you kill, or does he kill for you?

It would have to be a very strange context, either way.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
As we all know, real error messages have two parts:  a message code, and a

Back to archive top level