tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 16:39:40 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (Noun series indicating possession)

peHruS:
> Further hint:  A noun series showing possession must not end
> with the Klingon conjunction {je} = "and."

Well, "must" is a bit strong.  {SuvwI' taj nISwI' je} is "the
warrior's knife and disruptor pistol" which is a series showing
possession but ending with {je}.  (It's ambiguous whether just
the knife or both the knife and pistol belong to the warrior,
just like in the English.)

I know what you meant.  In the above example, there's no
possessive relationship between {taj} and {nISwI'}, which
is what the {je} applies to.  So the above couldn't have
meant "the warrior's knife's pistol".  It's just the way you
wrote it isn't too clear.

--
De'vID