tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 05 03:45:58 2000

RE: pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ?

> De'vID:
> : Dochvam DaHarchugh, SoHvaD "USS Brooklyn" meH vIngev.
> : = If you believe that, I'll sell you the bridge to the USS Brooklyn.

Voragh:
> Although I quite agree with your comment, I do have one minor correction:
>
>   'e' DaHarchugh ...
>
> As Okrand uses it, the noun {Doch} "thing" always refers to a tangible,
> physical object.  You cannot use {Dochvam} "this thing" or {Dochvetlh} "that
> thing" to refer to the relative pronouns "this" or "that" - a very
> common error among English speakers.

Thanks for the pointer.

The one example, I think, of someone using {Doch} to refer to an
abstract "that" was in the opening of PK.  The "bumbling Terran" says
something like {Dochvetlh yItlhap!} ("Take that!") before getting
shot.  Not a good example to follow, to be sure.

--
De'vID