tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 20:11:29 2000

RE: BG chu'

jIjatlh:
> >Don't forget, object-verb-subject order - {yay quv je Daghaj}.
> >Also, depending on what meaning you're going for, you might want the verb
> >suffix -jaj, if you're wishing me success rather than making a statement:
> >{yay quv je Daghajjaj}
> >
> >-taD

jang Ed:
>  I should have used a jay' at the end, more of a toast.

Be careful you don't get the word {jay'} and the verb suffix {-jaj} mixed up
-

{jay'} is used to intensify a sentence, turning it into a profanity of
sorts.
{bIquv jay'} "You're @%#$ honored!"

{-jaj} is used on verbs to indicate a wish for the future, like a toast.
{bIquvjaj} "May you be honored"

One problem with toasts is that their grammar is a bit irregular. If you're
giving a traditional toast (not just a general wish like you used), the
subject goes before the verb, rather than after. For example, imagine you're
at a banquet, celebrating the Rite of Ascension for your friend's son. If
you're giving a toast to your friend, rather than saying {quvjaj puqloDlI'},
you would say {puqloDlI' quvjaj}.

batlh tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhjaj!

-taD

Back to archive top level