tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 03:51:19 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Uff! :)

jIjatlh:
>{*Lenore* chIlmo'} seems to mean something like "because Lenore is
>lost," but there is no subject in this clause.

Tremal-Naik:
>You're right... I'm confusing with chIl and I used it as an adjective.
>Is correct "*Lenore* chIllu'mo'"

Yes! Perfect.

ghel Tremal-Naik:
>(in this case chIl assume the passive
>form?).

Well, more or less. Technically speaking, Klingon does not have a
passive voice--all clauses are in what we might call the active voice.
However, clauses with {-lu'} are often translated into English using the
passive voice.

jIH:
>I'm not sure {chIl}
>("lose, misplace") is appropriate in this context.

Tremal-Naik:
>I've got the same doubt.

Instead of {*Lenore* chIllu'mo'}, consider something like {DachtaHmo'
*Lenore*} ("because Lenore is absent").

Tremal-Naik:
>Thanks! :) But there are a lot of part still... :)))

I'll keep correcting them until you (or someone else) get tired of
listening to me!

Back to archive top level