tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 14 20:33:21 2000

RE: question about /nubwI'/

De'vID:
> Why does /nubwI'/ mean "predecessor"?  There's a verb /nub/ "to
> be suspect", but none meaning "to preceed".  Is /nubwI'/ = /nub/
> + /-wI'/, the implication being that all predecessors are suspect?
> Or is it just a coincidence?

pagh:
: Look again. Right below <nub> you'll find <nung>. nubbej, qar'a'?

I never noticed that.  There's also a noun {mung} "origin".  Either Okrand was
toying with some phonetic variation - a feature mostly absent in Klingon - or
he just misremembered the verb when he was filling out, or typing up, his
glossary.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons