tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 10:41:54 2000

Re: What is "tuq"

K'Pach:
: I have someone using the word "tuq" ... as far as I know, this is
: not an Okrandian term, but the spelling suggests it is.

Okrand introduced it in The Klingon Way:

  "an ancestral grouping now usually translated as house" (TKW 34)

: Here is the sentenced in which it was used:  "Can you not tell he is
: of a noble tuq?"
: It looks like it means something like; house, line, birthright,
: lineage, theld, etc.

That's it exactly.  Be careful not to confuse {tuq} "House" - which I
generally
capitalize - with {juH} "house (i.e. the building) and {qorDu'} "family"
(presumably immediate, or nuclear).

: Any enlightenment available?

{tuq}  tribe, house (i.e. Great House), ancestral unit KGT, clan

"According to Maltz, there are at least a couple of ways to identify a
Klingon's house (or {tuq}) ... To say "Kahlor of the House of Molor" (or, if
you prefer, "Kahlor from the House of Molor"), you'd say simply "Kahlor, House
of Molor" {qeylor molor tuq}. If you want to be even more formal, the name of
the father may be used as well... "Kahlor, son of Kahlin, of the House of
Molor" is "Kahlor, son of Kahlin, House of Molor" {qeylor qeylIn puqloD molor
tuq}. The other way is actually more formal and a bit formulaic. To say
"Kahlor
is of the House of Molor" (or "Kahlor is from the House of Molor"), you could
say {tay' qeylor molor tuq je}. This is literally "Kahlor and the House of
Molor are together." The construction is no doubt based on the Klingon proverb
"One is always of his tribe" (literally, "a person and his house are always
together"): {reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je}. If Kahlor is speaking, he could say, "I
am of the House of Molor" {matay' jIH molor tuq je}. Or if one were
speaking to
Kahlor, one could say, "You are of the House of Molor" {Sutay' SoH molor tuq
je}. Literally, these are "The House of Molor and I are together" [and] "The
House of Molor and you are together." The independent pronouns ({jIH} "I" and
{SoH} "you" in the examples above) are always used in this construction."
(startrek.klingon 9/97)

reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
One is always of his tribe.
("A person and his house are always together.") TKW

pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house.
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly.") KGT

qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

"Though originally utilitarian in nature, the {Ha'quj} has taken on symbolic
functions as well, its ornamentation representing the family unit or house
(tuq) of its wearer." (KGT 61)

DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa'
be'etor je.
The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly seeking a
higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High Council. S26

{qul tuq}
"House of Fire" KCD
[title of a popular Klingon opera]

{tuq Degh}  family crest KGT
"The knifesmith takes pride in designing a weapon that not only performs well
and perfectly fits the hand of the user but that also is considered a work of
art. The aesthetic value of the blade is directly related to its
effectiveness,
but the handle is adorned with ornamentation ranging from traditional designs
to symbols that actually indicate ownership, usually by means of a family
crest
(tuq Degh)." (KGT 63)

--
Voragh