tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 12:05:41 2000

RE: Help!!

Freya:
> I need to find out how the word  ta' is used in a sentance.
> Ie: Qo'noS ta' ghaH.

pagh:
: In this sentence, <ta'> means "Emperor". <Qo'noS ta' ghaH> means
: "He is the Emperor of Kronos".

{voDleH} is a synonym for {ta'}, also meaning emperor.  We don't as yet know
the difference between the two, but they both appear in noun phrases:

  {ta' Hol}  "standard dialect "(i.e. proper, grammatical Klingon),
    which is a shortened form of {ta' tlhIngan Hol} the "Emperor's
    Klingon [language]" (KGT p.14f)

  {voDleH Ha'DIbaH}  "emperor's meat".  ["If the meat is somewhat older,
    a common preparation technique is to HaH (marinate) it in any of a
    wide variety of concoctions containing {'Iw} (blood) and/or
    {vIychorgh} (sap) as a base, along with assorted animal parts. Meat
    prepared in this style is also called {voDleH Ha'DIbaH} (emperor's
    meat), again with the specific animal used instead of {Ha'DIbaH};
    for example, {voDleH lIngta'} (emperor's *lingta*). (Presumably
    there was an emperor at one time who liked his meat prepared in
    this fashion.) (KGT p.90f)]

> Also the meaning of the word Qang.

: Chancellor.

Like all Klingon ranks and titles, it follows the proper name (cf. KGT
p.197f):  e.g. {ghawran Qang} "Chancellor Gowron".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level