tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 27 07:13:37 2000

What do you call it?

I confess, I'm hooked. I've been snared by the latest bit of hardware, the
new PDA from HandSpring, the "Visor."

Which got me thinking: what do you call the thing in Klingon?

<<ghopDaq 'uchmeH De'wI'>> seems unwieldy, but then so is "Personal Digital
Assitant." Alas, we don't have much precedent for acronyms in Klingon, and
I wouldn't know how to begin to pronounce <<g'D>>.

Would <<'uchmeH De'wI'>> be sufficient?

I can't see going with <<De'wI'Hom>> since there are already plenty of
plausible candidates for that. Likewise I'd avoid <<De'wI' mach>>.

I thought perhaps something with <<boQwI'>> or <<jan>> but then I end up
with the device belonging to the assistant, or being the assitant of the
device, and that's not right.

Ideas?

Lawrence

Back to archive top level