tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 11 16:49:43 2000

Re: pIqaD problem

jatlh pIl'o':
>I now have the pIqaD fonts, for PC, on my computer, which I *think* is
>the one I bought from KLI a year or so back. I'd already purchased it
>for the Mac years ago when I first joined the KLI, and then this one
>for PC when I got my new VIAO laptop. I don't remember having this
>problem when I used the "for Mac" version.
>
>where is the glottal stop? on my font is is NOT on the apostrophy and
>I've searched all over the keyboard for it. Why is there a trifoil on
>the z, but no glottal stop? I must switch to another font in about a 24
>size, to grab the <'>, each time I need a glottal stop. This is
>extremely tedious. I can't believe the KLI would omit the glottal stop
>glyph.

<<tlhIngan Hol yejHaD>> pIqaD vIHutlh, 'ach qech vIghaj. "quotation"
Deghmey choH 'op ghunta'ghachmey (e.g., Microsoft Word). joqchoH
Deghmeyvam. pIm "ASCII" ngoq. Daqay'be'choHmoHmeH, "'" "Ctrl-Z" je
yI'ItmoH. Qapla'!

I don't have KLI's pIqaD font, but I have an idea. Certain programs,
most notably Microsoft Word, automatically convert quotation marks (and
apostrophes) to "smart quotes" (or "curly quotes"). These have a
different ASCII code from the normal apostrophe (146 compared to 39).
The solution, if you are using MS Word, is to press Ctrl-Z (undo)
immediately after you press the apostrophe key. Good luck!

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level