tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 06 16:22:04 2000

RE: KLBC cha' yu'

Subject line comment: <yu'> is a verb, not a noun, so you can't use it like
this. Instead, say something like <cha'logh qayu'>.

jatlh qevIn bIreyq:

> 1) In TKD, it lists <Qaw'>(destroy) as a noun, but it
> seems to be a verb. This seems to be supported by the
> presence of the noun <QIH>(destruction). So is <Qaw'>
> a verb or a noun?

<Qaw'> is one of the typos in TKD. It is a verb. The KLI's New Words List
includes all of TKD's "mistakes", including typos and words entered in only
one side. It is an excellent resource:

/tlh/newwords.html

> 2) How does one express decimals in klingon, for instance 3.14159?

The word for "decimal point" is <vI'>, so something like <loS vI' vagh>
would make sense for 4.5. I suspect there's a canon example of this
involving a stardate. Note also the word <DoD>, which means "mark (in
coordinates)".

The Klingon number <chab> (just joking!) would probably recited as:

wej vI' wa' loS wa' vagh Hut cha' jav vagh wej vagh chorgh Hut Soch Hut wej
cha' wej chorgh loS jav cha' jav loS wej wej chorgh wej cha' Soch Hut vagh
pagh cha' chorgh chorgh loS wa' Hut Soch wa' jav Hut wej Hut Hut wej Soch
vagh wa' pagh vagh chorgh cha' pagh Hut Soch loS Hut loS loS vagh Hut cha'
wej pagh Soch chorgh wa' jav loS pagh jav cha' chorgh jav . . .

Sorry - couldn't resist.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ