tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 04 07:42:22 2000

muSHa'ghach

ja' pIl'o':

> "muSHa'ghach?  muSHa'ghach? aha! so there IS a noun
> for it! I knew it! I knew it! muSHa'ghach!!!!"

ja' StaZ:

> I am not familiar with ghach.  muSHa' would be love...
> and in knowing Hamlet and the Soliloquy, I can only
> think it is Despised Love.

Despised by some ...  Sounds to me like a couple of promising recruits to
the {muSHa'} fan club (of which I am still founder and sole member).
*muSHa'* yImusHa'!

Before anyone goes adding {muSHa'ghach} to her active vocabulary, though,
be warned that there is still strong anti-{muSHa'} sentiment within the
Klingon mainstream. (It nearly got me discommended last time I brought it
up, and the fan club was driven underground.)

I admittedly haven't a canon leg to stand on, but {muSHa'ghach} is
appealing to me not only for its lovely rasp but also for its derivative,
indirect construction.  In order to approximate the most basic of words in
DIvI' Hol, Klingons take a radically different concept and add two suffixes
to twist it into shape. qu' jay'! Another reason I love {muSHa'} is that it
rhymes with {busHa'}:

*muSHa'* mu' nuSchu'meH QuSta'
'ach *muSHa'* mu' muSwI' vIbuSHa'!
pIj *parHa'* vIqel,