tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 04 10:55:47 1999

{latlh} preceding the noun?

: >> We so frequently use {latlh} as if it were a special word that
: >> is an adjective preceeding another noun that we forget that this
: >> is not the case. {latlh} is a noun. {latlh Doch} can almost
: >> ALWAYS be replaced by {latlh} alone. The only time you really
: >> want to put a noun after {latlh} is if that following noun gives
: >> you some information that a lone {latlh} would not give you,
: >> like in reply to "Do you want another blood wine, or another
: >> blood pie?"
: >
: > Did we ever find out for absolute certain that {latlh} in fact
: > precedes the noun?
:
: Voragh?

[Sorry for the delay, I've fallen behind on my tlhIngan-Hol email.]

AFAIK, Okrand hasn't discussed {latlh} "additional one, other one, another
one" (n.) in detail anywhere; we've just observed how he uses it:

  latlh Datlhutlh'a'?
  Will you drink another one? CK

  reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
  The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

  latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
  Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! KGT (idiom)

  latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang!
  I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! KGT

  latlh?
  And the others? (ST5 subtitle) [i.e. "The rest?"]

  Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq
   bey SeQ lujach.
  other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of
   the Klingon death ritual. S31

  beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'.
  others [Klingons] roar in great crescendo.  S31

  Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
  This yell ... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior
   is coming. S31

As you can see - particularly in SkyBox S31, which uses it 3 times! - you
can use {latlh} by itself but if modifying another noun, it must precede.

Also notice {Heghpu'bogh latlhpu'} "the other dead" (lit. "the others who
have died") in S31.

: > ~mark
:
: charghwI'