tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 13 09:31:44 1999

Re: qa'ralvaD QInvam'e'

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:27:59 +0200 veyDer <[email protected]>
wrote:

> jatlh qa'ral:
>
> >qatlhIj.  qaStaHvIS cha' Hogh bIQ'a' qIjDaq (Black Sea) jIghIQ.  DaHjaj
> >jIvumqa'DI' QInlIjvam vIlaD.  cha'maH Hu' QIn vIngeHbogh DaHevbe'law'.
> > chaq pongDaj vIchoHmo' Datu'be'.  vaj vIngeHqa':
> >
> > *Poland* Do' law' *Russia* Do' puS 'e' vItulbej.
> > veyDer, venglIj yIngu'!  pa' ghu' yIDel!
>
> qa'ral, QInwIj DaHevbe'law', vaj vengwIj vIDelqa':
>
> 	*Legionowo*Daq 'oH vengwIj'e'. naDev javmaHSaD rewbe'pu'
        yIn. *Legionowo*vo' *Warsaw*Daq cha'maH loS *kilometers*
        Hoplu'. tamqu' veng 'oH'e'.

Sorry for the intrusion. I want to be helpful here. We don't
have a lot of experience using {Hop} and I'd like to help steer
it toward what I'm fairly certain I understand its best usage
would be according to Okrand, since I talked with him about this
in the interview in HolQeD earlier this year.

First of all, I don't remember him saying anything about {Hop}
being used with units of measure. It doesn't take a direct
object at all, since it can be used as an adjective. One
might argue that a noun phrase describing a distance might
count as one of those mysterious nouns serving some other
function than direct object without a Type 5 suffixe, but I
think it is a bit of a stretch. I'd probably have said this as
something like:

*Warsaw*Daq Hopbe' *Legionowo*. cha'maH loS *kilometers* neH
lulengnISlu'.

or

cha'maH loS *kilometers* 'aD *Warsaw* *Legionowo* joj He.

> 	Da'Ho', naDev *Hov leng* vIbejlaHbe' (neH *ST:DS9* - wa'DIch *season*).

I'm assuming that's {Do'Ha'} instead of {Da'Ho'}, right? Also,
if you are using {neH} to mean "merely" or "only", it has to
FOLLOW what it modifies. Same goes for {wa'DIch}. It has to
follow *season*.

>       pIj cha'lu' *Hov leng: wa'DIch qep*'e'. vaj *video
>       tapes* vIwuvnIS.

Word order. This is your next mission. Tighten up your word
order, especially when you use {-lu'}. You are using all the
right words. Just sort them out better.

> 	vaj, bIQ'a' qIjDaq DaghIQpu''a'? majQa'! 'IHqu' bIQ'a'
>       qIjDaq'e'. pa' vISaHpu' je *Russia*Daq vIghIQDI' (wa'maH
>       ben).

I think you'd be clearer if you said {jISaHpu'}. If {pa'} is
being used as a direct object, it needs to be a noun and not as
a locative noun, which heavily suggests its "room" meaning
instead of its "thereabouts" meaning.

This is more my opinion than a certainty thing. It's just that
Okrand says that {pa'} meaning "thereabouts" is one of the very
few words that never has {-Daq} added to it; that {pa'Daq}
ALWAYS means "in the room". That implies to me that the normal
use of {pa'} as "thereabouts" is locative. If you used
{jISaHpu'}, then you'd be using {pa'} as a locative and this
would make sense. Using {vISaHpu'} uses {pa'} as a normal noun
acting as direct object, and that lack of {-Daq} in its meaning
suggests the "room" meaning for {pa'} -- In my humble opinion.
We've never seen Okrand use {pa'} meaning "thereabouts" as
anything but a locative. There's a newly arcane use of locatives
as direct object of motion verbs which can have destinations,
like {ghoS} or {jaH}, but I'm not willing to think that {SaH}
counts as one of these exceptional verbs. There's no movement,
so there is no destination.

Additionally, I don't think {SaH} ever means "be present at". It
either means "be present", which doesn't take a direct object,
or it means "care about", which DOES take a direct object. So,
when I see {pa' vISaHpu'}, I read it to mean "I have cared about
the room". Meanwhile, {pa' jISaHpu'} would more likely mean "I
have been there."

>       *Georgia*Daq vISaHpu'. Da'Ho', pa noH'e'.

Again, I'd read this to mean "I have cared about it in Georgia."
I'd use {jISaHpu'} to mean "I have been present in Georgia."

> 	*Eastern Europe*Daqvo' wej jeSwI'pu''e' 'e' vISov.

You can't use {-Daqvo'}. But you know that.

>       qelIS, jupwI' naDev SaH, 'ach neH QInmey laD ghaH. chaq
>       wIponchugh, nughItlh (qelIS, SoHvaD 'oH, ghItlh tagh!!
>       }};-)) ).

I was initially quite lost in your first sentence. Then I
recognized that you are putting {neH} in front of what it needs
to follow again, and I suspect that you put the subject of {SaH}
in front of it instead of following it. Word order! My guess is
that you were trying to say:

naDev SaH qelIS, jupwI' 'ach QInmey laD neH.

"My friend, Kahless is here, but he merely reads messages [he
doesn't write any]."

> 	toH, rIn QInwIj'e'.

maj. qechmeylIj vItIv. mu' *order* yIDub!

> Qapla'
> --

> wa'maH Hut ghu'meyvaD Qap wa''uy' wa' laHmey
> veyDer

charghwI'

Back to archive top level