tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 07 18:00:07 1999

Re: Mu'mey chu'

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:36:19 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
>
>On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 08:43:24 -0500 SuSvaj
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Alright, enough already!  For those of us who do not have the HolQed issue,
>> would someone PLEASE list the new words and their meanings!!!
>>
>> SuSvaj
>
>The following is NOT intended to replace HolQeD as a source of
>definitions for these words. For anyone who doesn't have
>HolQeD, it is better for you to get it and read Okrand's
>extended descriptions of these words. I'm definitely
>interpreting and abbreviating these descriptions here.
>
>I hope to update the New Words List this weekend, if possible.
>Definitely, after the 20th, it gets major attention. Until then:

Just our luck, my access to the web site will be going through some changes
for the next few weeks, so I might have trouble putting it up.  And you
won't be able to upload it... But we'll work something out.

>ghIq - then, subsequently (adv). Note that this is not a
>conjunction, though you can use it in conjunction with a
>conjunction [grin]. You can't join sentences with it alone. Use
>it like any other adverbial. It only refers to the sequential
>sense of "then".

Embarrassingly, this isn't quite what I asked for... I need to talk to
Marc.

>pIq - period of time from now (n) Consider its relationship with
>{poH} to be the same as the relationship between {jaj} and
>{leS}. It follows the noun specifying the period of time
>involved, as in {cha' tup pIq} meaning "two minutes from
>now".

My mnemonic for this is that you only get to "peek" at the future.

>tlhoy - overly, to an excessive degree, excessively, too much
>(adv) Note that this modifies the VERB and not any NOUN of a
>sentence. It refers to an action that is excessive and not that
>the action involves too many or too much of a noun. See {'Iq}.
>[Also note the pun with "cloy", a word not in common
>English vocabulary, but perfect for this definition.]

Yeah, I saw that.

~mark

Back to archive top level