tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 25 00:17:50 1999

Re: cardinal directions

Soch DaqHeymey DellaH *Anishinaabe* Segh:  Sov nob chan no', parmaq nob tIng
chan no', yuDHa'taHghach nob 'ev tIng no', HoS nob 'ev chan no', yoHtaHghach
nob Dung no', vuvtaHghach nob botlh no', *humility* nob bIng no'.

peHruS

Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh ter'eS:
> > >If you put <chan> at the top of your map, then the compass
> > >rose for the three cardinal points looks remarkably like the
> > >Klingon trefoil!
>
> jatlh ~mark:
> > I truly doubt that was a coincidence.
> >
> > Actually, I rolled my eyes at this chan/'ev/tIng thing.  OK,
> > Klingons like threes, we get the picture, but that doesn't
> > mean they're OBSSESSED with the number!  We like tens, but
> > we still have four cardinal directions, divide our feet into
> > twelve inches, etc.  Four seems a lot more sensible... But
> > then, I don't know much about how Terran cultures in
> > general make their directions.  I know that places like
> > Hawai'i develop directions like "seaward" and "inland" and
> > so on.  Maybe there are places that use a 3-way deal like
> > Klingon.  But hey, we have it, and I even get my "East",
> > which I needed both for Jonah and the Tower of Babel
> > translations.
>
> Well, some Native American cultures have six. This Klingon arrangement, by
> the way, is the minimum needed to be able to express the whole range of
> directions by combining *positive* multiples of the cardinal direction
> vectors. I rather like it.
>
> pagh

Back to archive top level