tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 24 09:55:39 1999

RE: pabpo' peqIm!

qa'ral:
> How do I pluralize {petaQ} (assuming I do use a suffix and that the
> objects of my abuse are humanoid)? Do I recognize the language
> ability of petaQpu'} or, since it's an insult anyway, use the rudely
> deklingonizing {petaQmey}?

Holtej:
: There is nothing insulting about using the general plural marker {-mey} on
: beings capable of language.  The connotation in this case is "scattered all
: about" (as in {DujDaq puqmey tu'lu'} "there are children all over the ship").
: Unless your {petaQ} are scattered all over some place, use {petaQpu'}.

Agreed.  In general, resist the overpowering beginners' urge to add {-mey} to
nouns referring to people and just use {-pu'}:

  muDech petaQpu'.
  I'm surrounded by p'taks.

If anything, a non-Klingon using {-mey} inappriately probably just sounds
ignorant since aliens aren't expected to understand the subtleties.  (Besides,
{petaQ} is plenty insulting all by itself!)  Though in the right circumstances,
the "scattered all about" connotation can be used to good effect:

  muDech petaQmey jay'!
  Bloody hell, I'm SURROUNDED by p'taks!

qa'ral:
> Just goes to prove I'm still a taghwI' (and probably delirious). First I
> forget a rule I know perfectly well, then manage to invent a spurious
> replacement rule. Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'!

AFAIK Okrand has never shown us the plural form of any epithet like {petaQ},
{Qovpatlh}, {taHqeq}, etc. -- no doubt because they are mostly used in a
one-on-one confrontation.  But the {vIttlhegh} you quoted should have given you
the answer:  {qoH} "fool, idiot" is, by Klingon standards, a fairly mild
epithet itself and has been used in the plural:

  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.
  Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

  not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'.
  Only fools have no fear. TKW

  HIvbe' qoHpu' neH.
  Only fools don't attack. TKW

Always bear in mind, too, that plural markers are optional in Klingon:

  qanchoHpa' qoH, Hegh qoH.
  Fools die young. TKW
  (lit. "Before a fool grows old, he dies."

This could also be translated: "Before fools grow old, they die."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level