tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 18:42:49 1999

RE: KLBC: mass translation

jatlh Daryl:

> greetings from the empire!!
> pagh, (nothing?,no-one?)

jIHbej.

>  you are certainly not nothing!! heehee pagh soHbejbe'
> (I find your choice of name quite humorous)

'e' vIpIH.

> I plan to learn tlhIngan Hol practically overnight (in three stages)
>  (perhaps reach the depth of understanding of HoD Qanqor himself

bIjaqbej. Qatlhchu'be' tlhIngan Hol, 'ach ngeDbe'bej.
You certainly are bold. Klingon is not that hard, but it is certainly not
easy.

>     -by the way I thought that the *HoD* was supposed to be after the
>    name? IE *qanqor HoD*= *Captain krankor* and not the way
> he does it)

HoD Qanqor has been <HoD Qanqor> since long before we found out about where
titles go. He has not changed what he calls himself since then.

> the three stages being:
>    1)mughta' De''a'/poj  -   mass translation/analysis

grammatical comments below.

>    2)ngav

pIjHa' navDaq jIghItlhmo' jIH, nom ngav vISIQnIS.
I don't actually write on paper very often, so when I do, writer's cramp
comes pretty quickly.

>    3)my own compositions- ghItlhta' De'meywij (lit.=* my
> information written*-is that the best choice for *my own
> compositions*? any alternatives?)

Klingon does not lend itself well to this sort of enumeration because it
does not have nouns for things like "translation". This is not a deficiency
of the language - just a different way of approaching things. A better way
to do it would be the Klingon version of:

I translate and analyze lots of data.
I suffer writer's cramp.
I write my own stuff.

De' law' vImugh 'ej vIpoj
ngav vISIQ
jIqonchoH

Note that I used <qon> rather than <ghItlh>. In a startrek.klingon newsgroup
posting a while ago, Marc Okrand explained that <ghItlh> refers only to the
physical process of writing, engraving, or similar activities. <qon> roughly
corresponds to the creative process of writing.

>     my first translation attempt is below (after endless
> page-flipping to translate it).So please evaluate it and any
> other thing that is written in klingon and please be picky
> especially if you think of any alternive or better words. I
> have printed out about 14 digests so far and plan to
> analyze/translate stuff ramdomly picked from that)

lu'.

> (ghunchu'wI''utlh wrote)
> >loQ qutlh Las Vegas, 'ach qep'a' cher'lu net nabchugh, Dogh Daqvetlh
> -->Las Vegas is a little bit cheep however,if planned, that
> the meeting is foolish at that location

Close. This one is a bit awkward in English, although it's perfectly clear
in Klingon. The second half is better translated as: "but if it is planned
that a qep'a' (conference) is established, that location (Las Vegas) is
silly".

> >pa' law'qu' muchmey.pa' law'qu nuvmey. Las Vegas vISuchchugh,
> >Hoch vIlegh vInegh.Hoch vIta' vIneH. qep'a' vIbuSnIS vIneHbe'.
>
> -->there are many people and presentations.I will see every one if I
> -->visit Las Vegas. (1st question is can I combine the 2
> klingon sentences to form the english one *there are many
> people and presentations* with out breaking a rule of translation?

It depends on what your goal is in the translation. In this case, you should
be trying for the smoothest, clearest English translation possible, and
combining two sentences makes perfect sense.

> .....2nd question: with *vInegh* vI tells me its a verb (verb prefix)
> but I can only find negh (noun-*soldier*)so is there a *negh*
> thats a verb that I dont know of or is it translated *I will
> soldier you*? I doubt it but what else is there?)

<negh> was a typo for <neH>. Also keep in mind that <Hoch> can mean
"everything" as well as "everyone", and "everything" makes more sense here.
"If I visit Las Vegas, I want to see everything".

> -->I want to accomplish it all.

maj. This would be smoother as "I want to do everything".

> I dont want(want what?).I need
> to focus
> -->on the meeting.

"I need to focus on the meeting" is what he does not want: "I don't want to
have to focus on the conference".

> >Dalbe' Philadelphia, 'ach Philadelphia jot law' Las Vegas jot puS.
> -->Philedelphia is not boring nevertheless Las Vegas and Philedelphia
> -->are very calm.

You've run into the Klingon comparitive form here. <Philadelphia jot law'
Las Vegas jot puS> means "Piladelphia is calmer/quieter than Las Vegas". You
can find the grammar for this in The Klingon Dictionary, pages 70-71.

> >chuSqu' Las Vegas. Qongbe' Las Vegas. rut Qong Philadelphia retlh.
> -->Las Vegas is very noisey and doesnt sleep.The area next to
> -->Philidelpia somtimes sleeps.

maj.

> >Philadelphia vImas jIH. pa' vIjaHmeH, yavDujwIj vIlo'laH. mutlhejlaH
> -->I Prefer Philedelphia.I am valuble to my car(what?).I go there for
> -->the purpose of it(?).(meybe I'm mistranslating it and its
> the wife in the next sentence that he is valuble to or
> possibly he meant *it is valuble to me* but to do that
> wouldnt he need a *mu* like *mulo'laH*?
> also I dont know what purpose he is talking about

The <mutlhejlaH> does go with the next sentence. For the rest, you've run
into one of Klingons strange words. <lo'laH> here is <lo'> plus <-laH>,
meaning ghunchu'wI' can use his car. It is not the verb <lo'laH> - "be
valuable". Also, you left out the <pa' vIjaHmeH>, which translates as "in
order to get there".

> >be'nalwI (puqloDwI'je).
> -->my wife(puqloDwI'je) is able to accompany me.

maj. The <puqloDwI' je> means "and my son". The missing space is a typo.

> >qep'a' Daq chu' wISovchoH 'e' vIlos. Swimming pool ghaj'a'?
> -->I wait [so] that we will know the new site [for] the meeting
> I added the *so* to the sentence so it would make sence but
> wouldnt there have to be a *vaj'* (adverbial) for me to put
> that there?

<loS> means not only "wait", but also "wait for". So he is basically saying
"I await that we know ...", or "I am waiting to know ...". Makes sense in
Klingon, but it's hard to translate.

> could qep'a' be translated as *studygroup* instead of *meeting*?

<qep'a'> is often translated as "conference". The <qep'a'> is an annual
meeting of the KLI, so it is often just left untranslated as well.

> chavta'ngav   (daryl quick)
>
> P.S. I just want to say to ghunchu'wI''utlh that I'm not
> questioning his ability with klingon phrazing I'm just
> analizing to learn =]

net Sov. ghunchu'wI' Damaw 'e' vIHon.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian